Learn how to make these simple leather ornaments. DIY Leather ornaments are a quick and easy Christmas craft idea.
Looking for something modern, simple, and rustic for your Christmas tree this year? Today, I’m teaching you how to make stylish leather ornaments, perfect for your tree or to give as gifts. Plus, use the same simple template to make modern leather gift tags.
Make multiples of this simple Christmas ornament in 15 minutes or less. Tuck them atop gifts, or inside Christmas cards, as a small handmade gift. Or, create a whole set of DIY leather ornaments to give as a Christmas gift.
Disclosure: This page includes affiliate links.
How to Make Leather Ornaments
1. Cut Leather Strips
First, cut 2″ wide strips from scrap leather. You can buy scrap leather or cut up leather clothing from a thrift store.
2. Cut Leather Strips to Size
Next, cut the 2″ strip of leather into 3″ segments.
3. Remove 2 Corners
Once the rectangles are cut, use a straight edge to cut off two triangles from the bottom edge. This will create a point.
4. Punch Holes
Now that the leather ornament is shaped correctly, use a leather hole punch to create a hole in each of the top corners.
5. String Twine
Pull cotton twine through the holes. Then, tie a knot in the twine at each end to create an ornament hanger.
6. Decorate the Leather Ornaments
Finally, decorate the leather ornaments with a paint marker.
Handmade Gifts using Scrap Leather
Still have leftover leather? Leather gift tags are another quick and easy project. You won’t even need any other supplies (the materials and tools are the same as for leather ornaments).
- Cut the scrap leather into 2″ wide strips.
- Cut the 2″ strips of leather into 3″ segments.
- Use a straight edge to cut off two triangles from the top edge of the leather rectangle. This will create a point.
- Use a leather hole punch to cut two holes for the cotton twine, one in each top corner.
- Tie knots at the ends of the twine to create an ornament hanger.
- Decorate the ornaments with a paint marker.