Love antiques with a modern edge? Missing the shade for an antique milk glass lamp? This milk glass lamp makeover is simple and stylish!
An heirloom from my husband’s aunt, this pair of antique milk glass lamps is a treasure. The lamps needed a bit of freshening up – and one milk glass shade was missing – but a quick milk glass lamp makeover made them perfect for our living room.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services.
Antique Lampshade Replacement
Only one of the antique milk glass lamps needed a shade. So, I had two options:
- track down an identical (or at least, similar) replacement shade
- replace both shades with a matching set of lampshades
While I love the original, the glass shade felt a bit too formal for our eclectic living room (and a bit too breakable… with two young kids). Therefore, matching shades seemed like the best bet.
Antique lovers, don’t worry! I placed the original lampshade in storage, in case I change my mind down the road.
Looking to update a vintage or antique lamp? Try a black lampshade.
This simple adjustment is unexpected. White, cream, tan, or gray lampshades are easy to come by – but black adds contrast and drama that is a bit more unique.
Of course, a black lampshade may not be the best choice if bright lighting is imperative. Black lampshades work well for ambient and indirect lighting which doesn’t require maximum brightness.
Milk Glass Lamp Makeover
- First, clean the milk glass with a rag and soapy water. A few drops of dish soap should do the trick.
- If needed, use an old toothbrush to get access into crevices in the milk glass.
- For the brass surfaces, use a rag to apply a polisher (such as Brasso).
- Once cleaned, let the milk glass and brass surfaces dry.
- Once dry, insert a light bulb into the lamp and attach the lampshade clip adapter (I highly recommend this adapter - it is sturdy, secure, and stays in place!)
- Finally, attach the lamp shade to the adapter.
If you like this antique home decor, you might also like:
- How to Refinish a Vintage Dresser
- Milk Glass Bathroom Organization
- How to Embrace the Imperfections in Heirloom Furniture