Add outdoor lighting with tiki torch stands around your deck (and prevent mosquitos, too)! Learn how to easily install a tiki torch deck mount in minutes.
Though I love to spend time outdoors during summer evenings, the mosquitoes eat me alive. So, I’ve decided to fight back against the pesky bugs by wrapping our deck with citronella-scented tiki torches. Using an easy-to-install tiki torch deck mount, this project was completed in minutes.
How to Install a Tiki Torch Deck Mount
Before you order the deck clamps, measure the thickness of the deck rail and determine how many tiki torches you’d like to install. If you’d like to print the directions, click here to jump to the instruction card.
- First, loosen the large metal screw on the deck clamp.
- Next, slide the clamp onto the deck rail.
- Once the clamp is in place, tighten the metal screw.
- If needed, use a set of pliers to tighten the screw further.
- Once the clamp is in place, loosen the small screw.
- Next, slide the tiki torch through the hole until well seated.
- Finally, tight the metal screw to hold the torch securely.
Tiki Torch Stands
How many deck tiki torches do you need? We decided to install one tiki torch holder per each side of the deck (except the house side, of course). Therefore, 3 tiki torches and 3 clamps met our needs.
It’s easy to install more tiki torch stands later, since the clamps don’t damage the deck. There are no screw holes, which means the spacing between each torch is quick and simple to adjust.
FAQs: Deck Tiki Torches
Can tiki torches prevent mosquitos?
Yes! Purchase a tiki torch fuel which includes citronella in order to prevent mosquitos.
Can a tiki torch stand be mounted on the outside of the deck rail?
Yes! In fact, this is the preferred option. Mount tiki torch holders to the outside of the deck rail so that:
- the torch is further out of reach,
- floor space is saved inside the deck rails,
- the base of the torch can’t be easily kicked or bumped.
Safety Tips for Deck Tiki Torches
- Never leave tiki torches burning without supervision.
- Ensure that torches are securely mounted with a tiki deck mount so that it cannot topple over.
- Do not burn tiki torches under tree canopies, patio umbrellas, deck roofs/coverings, etc.
- Consider investing in stainless steel tiki torches for a safer, more durable, and more stable deck tiki torch.
Outdoor Lighting: Tiki Torches around a Deck
When planning outdoor lighting, try to incorporate several lighting types. For example:
- wall-mounted light next to exterior door
- tiki torches mounted to deck railing
- patio string lights
- citronella candles and table torches for side tables or patio tables
- solar fence lights mounted to the railing for lighting the floor/steps
By combining a variety of lighting solutions, you’ll create ambiance and depth in an outdoor space. It provides several layers of defense against mosquitos (candles and torches at various heights) and improves safety (by brightening the home’s exterior and walk spaces).
- Measure the deck and determine where each tiki torch mount will be installed.
- Loosen the large screw to fit around the railing or spindle.
- Place the clamp onto the railing or spindle where it will be installed.
- Tighten the large screw until snug. Use pliers to tighten further, if needed.
- Loosen the small screw in order to allow the tiki torch to fit into the hole.
- Insert the tiki torch at least 1/3 of the overall tiki torch height.
- Tighten the small screw until snug. Use pliers to tighten further, if needed.
- Fill the torch with citronella scented tiki torch fuel.