Ready to let your children explore the outdoors? Learn how to go on a nature scavenger hunt with the whole family. Download this free printable scavenger hunt for kids and set up a fun outdoor experience in minutes.
Our cottage-style home backs up to a winding creek and my kids love exploring along the creek banks. Whether searching for critters or collecting oddly-shaped rocks, our backyard is an opportunity to learn, discover, and explore. Therefore, it’s a no-brainer to integrate activities that enrich nature exploration, such as a printable Nature Scavenger Hunt for kids.
Are you a scavenger hunt fan? Check out our new site, Scavenger Hunt Ideas (click here)!
**Note: This post was originally written as a guest post for Beauty in the Mess.
Don’t have a winding creek in your backyard? No worries! This Nature Scavenger Hunt for kids is designed for a variety of outdoor experiences (whether exploring a fenced backyard, playing at the park, or hiking in the mountains).
Did you know? All of our Scavenger Hunt Games include the picture and the word so that any kid can play, even if they haven’t learned to read.
How to make a Nature Scavenger Hunt for Kids
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services.
- Grab the FREE Printable (available at the end of this post)
- White Cardstock
- Printer and Ink
- Branch and Twig Colored Pencils (totally optional, but totally fun!)
- Download the Nature Scavenger Hunt file (available at the end of this post) to your computer.
- Print the Nature Scavenger Hunt onto white cardstock, creating as many copies as you’d like. After all, this nature exploration activity can be enjoyed over and over, through the spring, summer, and fall months!
- Hand your child(ren) a bark-covered color pencil, the Nature Scavenger Hunt, and let them start exploring.
Don’t want to make your own? No problem! Grab a dry-erase nature scavenger hunt from my Amazon shop. The set ships free and includes a total of 16 scavenger hunt games.
How to take a Nature Scavenger Hunt with Kids
First, go outside! And, yes, just about anywhere will do. This nature scavenger hunt includes backyard-friendly items, such as:
However, if you’re heading on a hike through the mountains, this Nature Scavenger Hunt is a great take-along activity, too! Find nature items, such as:
Each time your child finds an item, they can mark an X over the picture. I love to use a set of twig color pencils to complement the nature theme. Encourage the kids to find as many items as possible, or to complete a full row of nature pictures (think five-in-a-row or BINGO style).
Your kids will have a blast (and you might just enjoy it, too) as they mark off each item found in nature.
Would you like to download the FREE printable?
Ready to download your own Nature Scavenger Hunt free printable? Enter your email, and the link to the PDF file will appear below. (note: If you already subscribe, you may still need to enter your email; but will not be subscribed twice.)
DOWNLOAD NOW: Nature Scavenger Hunt
Files are for personal use only, not to be resold.
If you liked this activity for kids, you may also like:
- Learn how to make a DIY Flower Press, it’s a simple nature craft for kids (or adults!).
- Take the kids on a Nature Adventure! Click over to this post for 6 nature adventure ideas, including a nature explorer kit.
- Learn how to make a DIY Kids Nature Kit. This simple project makes a perfect birthday gift, encouraging nature exploration, and creative play.
- Take scavenger hunt games on the road, with a FREE Travel Scavenger Hunt. (P.S. Going to New York? I also have a Travel Scavenger Hunt specifically for New York City).
- Looking for activities for kids? Don’t miss this gigantic list of 50+ Boredom Buster Templates and Printables.
More Scavenger Hunt Ideas
- The 20+ Best Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Shape Scavenger Hunt
- Car Game Travel Scavenger Hunt
- Zoo Animal Scavenger Hunt
- Playground Scavenger Hunt
- Beach Scavenger Hunt
- Airplane Scavenger Hunt
- New York City Scavenger Hunt
More Printable Templates and Activities for Kids